These deliciously buttery cookies are great for special occasions. They take a bit of extra work, but are well worth the time. Everyone will be impressed with your culinary talent!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 pkg. active dry yeast (approx. 1 1/2 tsp)
- 2 tbsp. warm water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup finely ground pecans
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- confectioner’s sugar
- In a large bowl, blend together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Mix egg yolks, sour cream, and vanilla into yeast.
- Slowly blend yeast mixture into flour mixture.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff.
- Fold in nuts and almond extract. Set aside.
- Divide chilled dough into 4 equal parts.
- Sprinkle rolling surface with confectioner’s sugar (not flour!)
- Roll each section into a circle approximately 9″ in diameter.
- Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Spread 1 rounded teaspoonful of meringue onto each wedge.
- Roll up dough, beginning at wide end.
- Place onto lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar while still warm.
Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.
Note: Substitute walnuts for pecans for a slightly different flavor. Or use ground almonds for an extra almond kick!Butter Horn Cookies,