Cream Wafer Sandwiches are an elegant, classic cookie that are perfect for bridal showers, receptions, or holiday parties. These delicate cookies have a rich, buttery filling, that can be colored to match the theme of your party. These are also great homemade alternatives to Oreos!
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup whipping cream (35% butterfat)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar (sifted)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Food coloring, if desired
- Mix butter, cream, and flour together until well blended.
- Chill dough at least 1 hour.
- While dough is chilling, make filling -
- Blend together butter, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla.
- Tint with coloring if desired.
- Set aside.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Roll chilled dough to approximately 1/8″ thick on lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into 1 1/2″ rounds.
- Cover a piece of waxed paper with granulated sugar.
- Take each cookies and place it onto sugar, making sure to coat both sides.
- Place cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Prick cookies with fork in several places.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, or until slightly puffed.
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie rack.
- Spread filling onto one cookie.
- Place second cookie on top of filling covered cookie to make a sandwich.
Makes approximately 5 dozen 1 1/2″ cookies
Note: Try Wilton’s 12 Piece Icing Color Set for rich colors without taste.Cream Wafer Sandwiches,